Imran Khan arrested: 1 killed as mayhem unleashed on Pakistan streets. 10 factors | World News
Imran Khan, Pakistan’s former prime minister, was arrested and dragged from the Islamabad excessive courtroom on Tuesday as he appeared to face costs in a number of graft circumstances, a dramatic escalation of political tensions that sparked violent demonstrations by his offended supporters in a number of main cities.
The Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) chief, who travelled from Lahore to Islamabad, was arrested after the Rangers broke open the glass window and arrested him after beating attorneys and Khan’s safety workers.
The arrest of the 70-year-old PTI chairman comes a day after the highly effective military accused him of levelling baseless allegations in opposition to a senior officer of the spy company ISI.
High updates on Imran Khan’s arrest:
1. A minimum of one individual was reported killed in clashes between protesters and the navy in Quetta, the capital of Balochistan province, with one other 5 folks wounded there, whereas about 15 accidents had been reported amid comparable violence in Karachi, Peshawar, Rawalpindi and Lahore. Police fired tear fuel to disperse demonstrations.
2. Pakistan’s telecommunication authority mentioned regulators blocked social media, together with Twitter, and web service was suspended in Islamabad and different cities. Lessons at some personal faculties had been cancelled for Wednesday.
3. About 4,000 of Khan’s supporters stormed the official residence of the highest regional commander in Lahore, smashing home windows and doorways, damaging furnishings and staging a sit-in as troops there retreated to keep away from violence. The protesters additionally burned police automobiles and blocked key roads.
4. Protesters additionally smashed the primary gate of the Pakistan Military’s headquarters within the garrison metropolis of Rawalpindi, the place troops exercised restraint. A whole bunch of demonstrators shouted pro-Khan slogans as they moved towards the sprawling constructing.
5. The Islamabad excessive courtroom summoned prime officers and law enforcement officials after paramilitary Rangers dramatically arrested Imran Khan in a corruption case from the courtroom premises however reserved its ruling.
6. Fawad Chaudhry, a senior chief of the PTI, denounced the arrest of the 71-year-old former cricket star as “an abduction.” Pakistan’s impartial GEO TV broadcast a video of Khan being hauled away.
7. Khan was taken to the garrison metropolis of Rawalpindi, close to Islamabad, for questioning on the workplaces of the Nationwide Accountability Bureau, in line with police and authorities officers. He additionally was to bear a routine medical checkup, police mentioned.
8. Pakistan inside minister Rana Sanaullah mentioned Khan was arrested for inflicting a loss to the nationwide treasury in a corruption case. Sanaullah mentioned Imran was arrested by officers of the Nationwide Accountability Bureau particularly within the Al-Qadir Belief case, including that there have been “dozens” of different circumstances with corruption inquiries in progress in opposition to the previous premier.
9. Sources informed information company ANI that Indian defence forces are maintaining a detailed watch on the scenario in Pakistan. Robust vigil being maintained by the forces alongside the Line of Management and the worldwide border, the defence sources reportedly mentioned.
10. Khan informed his supporters in a pre-recorded video that he might be “closed inside in an illegal case” and that he “might not get probability to handle them once more”.
(With inputs from businesses)